Senior partner Al Hudec is an M&A and Corporate Governance practitioner with 30+ years of experience in all legal aspects of securities and corporate finance, including mergers & acquisitions, corporate governance and independent committee representation, and public and private financings of equity and debt, with emphasis on the North American resource (mining, forestry, oil and gas) and technology industries. His practice focuses on cross-border mergers & acquisitions (take-overs and arrangements), board and special/independent committee representation and venture capital financings. He also practices extensively in the areas of aboriginal law (benefits agreements and commercial transactions) and wine law (acquisition and sale of wineries, commercial agreements, policy and regulatory matters). Al writes and speaks frequently on a variety of legal topics relating to corporate finance, corporate governance, aboriginal law and wine law.
- US $1 billion sale of Avigilon Corporation, a leading Canadian technology company, to Motorola Solutions pursuant to a Plan of Arrangement.
- Significant benefits agreements for various Indigenous Groups in connection with LNG projects and associated natural gas pipelines including, First Nations Limited Partnership” a $500 million benefits package for the 16 First Nations along the route of the Pacific Trails natural gas pipeline; benefits agreements with LNG Canada, Kitimat LNG, Petronas and TransCanada Pipelines.
- Various forest industry transactions in including the sale of Wynndel Logging to Canfor; the Sumitomo investment in Pacific Biotechnology and sale of Aboriginal forest tenures.
- Various wine industry transactions and representations including the sales of Laughing Stock and Road 13, representation of BCWI and other industry associations in connection with various regulatory and policy matters including Wine in Grocery.
- Corporate governance – regularly represents the Boards of significant Canadian public and private companies with respect to sensitive transactions and matters involving conflicts of interest.
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Member of the Law Society of Alberta
- Member of the Institute of Corporate Directors
- Member of the Vancouver Society of Financial Analysts
- Memeber of the American Bar Association, Business Law Section (Mergers & Acquisitions Committee)
- Member of The Association for Corporate Growth
- Member of the British Columbia Wine Institute
- Best Lawyers in Canada (2020)
- Lexpert Leading Lawyers in Canada (2019)
- Lexpert Leading Cross-Border Lawyers (2017)
- Lexpert Zenith Award (2016)
- Martindale-Hubbell Ranking (BV)
- Advocacy work on behalf of the BC wine industry