James Hatton is a commercial solicitor with more than 30 years experience in assisting companies to exploit the value of their intellectual property assets.
James is the partner responsible for the Technology Group at Farris LLP, the law firm frequently identified by Lexpert magazine as the top corporate law firm and the top litigation firm in Vancouver, British Columbia.
James is listed as a leading practitioner in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, repeatedly recommended in the fields of technology transactions and biotechnology. Best Lawyers lists James in the practice areas of technology law, intellectual property law and biotechnology law, and named James as Vancouver’s “Biotechnology Law Lawyer of the Year” for 2013, 2017 and 2019.
James is a director of BC Hydro, the principal electricity utility for the province of British Columbia. James is also a director of Powerex, the exporting subsidiary of BC Hydro.
James is an advisory board member for STEMCELL Technologies, Canada’s largest and most successful biotechnology company.
James is a director of the BC Tech Association, a non-profit dedicated to making British Columbia the best place to grow and scale a tech company.
James is a director and past Chair of LifeSciences British Columbia, which supports and represents the greater life sciences community of British Columbia. James is a director of technology companies, including Aspect Biosystems, specializing in 3D bioprinting and tissue engineering.
James is a former member of the Governing Council of the National Research Council of Canada, the government of Canada’s premier research, development and innovation organization, which leverages Canada’s public and private science and technology infrastructure for the benefit of Canadians.
James is a former member of the Board of Governors of Royal Roads University, a university based in Victoria, British Columbia offering undergraduate, graduate and executive programs in applied and professional fields. He is also a former member of the Judicial Advisory Committee for British Columbia, responsible for assessing candidates from British Columbia for appointment as superior court judges.
- Acted for Stemcell Technologies in its alliance with GE Healthcare granting an exclusive license to GE Healthcare of Stemcell’s T-Cell reagents to further enable development and manufacture of cellular immunotherapies.
- Acted for Cyon Therapeutics in the Cyon Novartis alliance granting Cyon worldwide license to Novartis’ anti-PCSK9 antibody for use in systemic inflammatory response syndrome and for the prevention and treatment of sepsis.
- Acted for Sitka Biopharma in the Sitka Cancer Research UK alliance to develop a new treatment to improve delivery of chemotherapy for non-muscle invasive bladder cancer in patients whose tumour has not yet penetrated into the muscle layer of the bladder wall.
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Queen’s Counsel (2010)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (2019)
- Lexpert Leading Lawyers in Canada (2018)
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” (Biotechnology Law, 2017 & 2019)
- Martindale-Hubbell Ranking (BV)
- Director of The Forum for Women Entrepreneurs, a charity that educates, mentors and connects women entrepreneurs who are venturing into new business opportunities or ready to ramp up and grow their existing businesses
- Past president of The Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society, remains an honorary life director of that organization
- Former director of the Central City Foundation. one of Vancouver’s oldest charitable organizations, established in 1907 by a group of citizens concerned about the number of homeless and hungry people living in the Gastown area of Vancouver