Ron is the firm’s Securities practice group leader. He has a reputation for being an innovative and practical problem-solver, offering both strategic and legal advice to his clients. He is able to balance legal rigour with business realities.
Ron regularly advises on a range of corporate, capital markets and M&A transactions, and has extensive cross-border experience. His advice includes structuring considerations, related-party and special committee obligations, take-over defences and contested shareholder meetings. Having excellent relationships with securities regulators, Ron is well aware of the shifting legal landscape and the range of options available to his clients at any given time.
Ron’s clients operate in a variety of industry sectors, including mining, oil & gas, technology and biotechnology. They include public and private companies, limited partnerships, REITs, investment funds, portfolio managers and exempt market dealers.
Prior to joining Farris over a decade ago, Ron was the corporate finance lawyer at the Vancouver office of the predecessor to the TSX Venture Exchange. He assisted in the realignment of the various stock markets in Canada along lines of market specialization (including the amalgamation of the Vancouver and Alberta stock exchanges), and provided securities law advice to staff and executives. Before that, Ron practised at a boutique Vancouver corporate finance law firm.
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Past chair of the Securities Law Subsection of the Canadian Bar Association (B.C. Branch)
- Past member of the Securities Law Advisory Committee (SLAC), providing advice to the British Columbia Securities Commission on legal and policy issues relating to securities regulation
- An instructor for various securities law seminars, including those sponsored by Simon Fraser University (Faculty of Business Administration), Federated Press and the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia
- Best Lawyers in Canada (2019)
- Martindale-Hubbell Ranking (CV)