Year Of Call
Arik is a corporate lawyer and advises business owners and executives of companies of all sizes and stages (private and public), and the individuals and entities who fund or acquire these companies. His primary areas of practice are: corporate finance (debt and equity), securities compliance, corporate governance and mergers and acquisitions (domestic and cross-border).
Prior to practicing law, Arik worked in BC’s technology sector in online marketing, finance and product management at AbeBooks.com; an early e-commerce marketplace based in Victoria that was acquired by Amazon.com in 2008. Following Abebooks.com, he managed a retail and wholesale business based in Kelowna. These early operational experiences provide Arik with a business operator’s and owner’s perspective which continually assists him in delivering practical and strategic advice to clients.
Arik obtained his law degree at Western University while concurrently completing a Master of Business Administration at the Richard Ivey School of Business (corporate finance focus).
In 2016, Arik was seconded from the firm to TELUS Corporation where he advised on corporate governance and securities matters as a member of TELUS’ Corporate Secretary Team.
In the community, Arik regularly speaks at universities and technology accelerator programs in Vancouver and Victoria on the legal aspects of building and scaling emerging growth ventures including presenting on angel and venture financing, employee equity compensation plans and exit strategies. He is also a co-founder of a Vancouver based legal technology community group (Vancouver Legal Hackers) and is continually looking to implement legal technology solutions in his practice to provide efficient and timely service to clients.
Prior to joining Farris, Arik practiced as an associate in the technology and securities group in the Vancouver office of a national law firm.
- Lead counsel on debt and equity financings for private biotech, blockchain, virtual reality e-commerce and telecommunications related emerging growth companies.
- Counsel to private funds in debt and equity financings.
- Counsel to Avigilon Corporation on its sale to Motorola Solutions, Inc.
- Counsel to IsoEnergy Ltd. for its listing on the TSXV.
- Counsel to Diversified Royalty Corp. on its offering of subscription receipts in connection with its acquisition of Mr. Lube Canada Limited Partnership.
- Lead counsel to TeamPages Inc. on sale to Active Network.
- Lead counsel to a medical device company on its acquisition of a private entity.
- Lead counsel for established media company in its on-going corporate development activities (acquisitions and divestures).
- Counsel to the special committee of Pacific Insight Electronics Corp. on its sale to Methode Electronics Inc.
- Junior counsel (as an articled student) to Layer7 Technologies Inc. on its sale to CA Technologies, Inc.
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia