David Selley practises in the fields of corporate finance and securities, corporate & commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, banking and competition and regulatory compliance. David has experience in negotiating and drafting corporate documents, including securities offering documents, purchase and sale agreements, loan and security documents, and other contracts. David acts for clients in a variety of industries, including technology and information communications, utilities, natural resources, financial services, and industrial businesses. David represents large, publicly-traded companies, venture companies, private companies, and early stage companies and provides both strategic advice with respect to corporate transactions and ongoing general corporate advice.
Best Lawyers in Canada names David as among the leading corporate and securities lawyers in British Columbia. He was previously named by Lexpert as one of Canada’s Leading Lawyers Under 40 and is repeatedly ranked among the leading corporate commercial lawyers in British Columbia.
- Corporate Finance – acted for a number of issuers with respect to the issuance of corporate bonds including acting for South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority (TransLink) with respect to the establishment of its direct borrowing platform and the issuance of $400 million of 3.25% green bonds; acting for FortisBC Energy with respect to the issuance of $200 million of 3.85% medium term note debentures; and acting for the City of Vancouver with respect to the issuance of $85 million of 3.10% green bonds.
- Mergers and Acquisitions – acted for Glacier Media Inc. with respect to its $86 million acquisition of newspapers from Postmedia Network, acted for Unisync Corp. with respect to its $23 million acquisition of Utility Garments Inc. with concurrent subscription receipt financing and bank financings and acted for LED Medical Diagnostics Inc. with respect to its acquisition of Apteryx Inc. with concurrent equity and debt financings.
- Banking – acted for a variety of borrowers in respect of their credit facilities including acting for FortisBC group of companies in respect of bank credit facilities in excess of $800 million; acting for MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd. with respect to its US$3.75 billion credit facilities; acting for Glacier Media Inc. in respect of its secured credit facilities; and acting for Diversified Royalty Corp. in respect of its credit facilities for the acquisitions of the Franworks, Mister Lube, Sutton Realty and Air Miles royalties.
- Corporate & Commercial – acted for United Flower Growers Co-operative Association with respect to its contested plan of arrangement to restructure into two businesses including the novel direct amalgamation of a cooperative association with a British Columbia corporation; and acted for TELUS Corporation with respect to its contested plan of arrangement to collapse its dual share structure.
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (2021)
- Lexpert Leading Lawyers in Canada (2021)