James Hatton is a commercial solicitor with more than 30 years experience assisting companies to exploit the value of their intellectual property assets. He is the Partner responsible for the Technology Group at Farris LLP, the law firm frequently identified by Lexpert as the top corporate firm in Vancouver, British Columbia.
James is frequently listed as a leading practitioner in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, repeatedly recommended in the fields of life sciences & health, and technology transactions. Best Lawyers has recognized James since 2012 in the practice areas of biotechnology law and life sciences, corporate law, intellectual property law, and technology law and has named James as Vancouver’s “Biotechnology Law Lawyer of the Year” three times. Chambers ranks James in Life Sciences: Corporate/Commercial.
James is an advisory board member for STEMCELL Technologies, Canada’s largest and most successful biotechnology company.
James has served as a director or officer of many organizations, including:
BC Hydro, the principal electricity utility for the province of British Columbia, and Powerex, the exporting subsidiary of BC Hydro; the BC Tech Association, a non-profit dedicated to making British Columbia the best place to grow and scale a tech company; and Aspect Biosystems, which specializes in 3D bioprinting and tissue engineering.
James has served as a director and past Chair of LifeSciences British Columbia, which supports and represents the greater life sciences community of British Columbia.
James is a former member of the Governing Council of the National Research Council of Canada, the government of Canada’s premier research, development and innovation organization, which leverages Canada’s public and private science and technology infrastructure for the benefit of Canadians.
James is a former member of the Board of Governors of Royal Roads University, a university based in Victoria, British Columbia offering undergraduate, graduate and executive programs in applied and professional fields. He is also a former member of the Judicial Advisory Committee for British Columbia, responsible for assessing candidates from British Columbia for appointment as superior court judges.
- Acted for Stemcell Technologies in its alliance with GE Healthcare granting an exclusive license to GE Healthcare of Stemcell’s T-Cell reagents to further enable development and manufacture of cellular immunotherapies.
- Acted for Cyon Therapeutics in the Cyon Novartis alliance granting Cyon worldwide license to Novartis’ anti-PCSK9 antibody for use in systemic inflammatory response syndrome and for the prevention and treatment of sepsis.
- Acted for Sitka Biopharma in the Sitka Cancer Research UK alliance to develop a new treatment to improve delivery of chemotherapy for non-muscle invasive bladder cancer in patients whose tumour has not yet penetrated into the muscle layer of the bladder wall.
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (2024)
- Chambers Canada Ranked Lawyers (2023)
- Lexpert Leading Lawyers in Canada (2023)
- Lexpert Leading Technology and Health Sciences Lawyers (2023)
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” (Biotechnology Law, 2019)
- Martindale-Hubbell Ranking (BV)
- Queen’s Counsel (2010)
- Director of The Forum for Women Entrepreneurs, a charity that educates, mentors and connects women entrepreneurs who are venturing into new business opportunities or ready to ramp up and grow their existing businesses
- Past president of The Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society, remains an honorary life director of that organization
- Former director of the Central City Foundation. one of Vancouver’s oldest charitable organizations, established in 1907 by a group of citizens concerned about the number of homeless and hungry people living in the Gastown area of Vancouver