Matthew was called to the Bar of British Columbia in 2011. His practice is focused in the area of family law. He received his certification as a Collaborative Family Law Lawyer in 2021 and joined the membership of the Collaborative Divorce Vancouver Society in 2022. He received his accreditation as a Family Law Mediator in 2022.
Prior to joining Farris, Matthew articled and practiced in Kelowna, British Columbia before joining a boutique family law firm in downtown Vancouver, where he began to focus on family law. His experience includes matrimonial property division cases, child access and custody disputes, drafting complex marriage and separation agreements and preparing and representing his clients at mediation. He has also appeared in all levels of court in British Columbia.
Matthew attended law school at the University of Alberta and graduated in 2010. Prior to studying law, Matthew completed a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of British Columbia, with a major in History.
- Co-editor of the family property and debt division chapter on the “JP Boyd on Family Law” Clicklaw Wikibook for 2016-present
- Presented as part of a CBABC panel on the topic “Civility in the Practice of Family Law: Perspectives from the Bench & Bar” on February 20, 2020. The presentation shared insights and anecdotes about civility in practice, how lawyers can balance their responsibility to advocate for clients, conduct themselves as agents of the court and maintain positive relationships within the bar.
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Former co-chair of the SOGIC Forum CBA subsection
- Member of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC)
- Member of the Collaborative Divorce Vancouver Society