Michael Allen has extensive experience in corporate finance and banking law, and he regularly acts for both lenders and borrowers in international project finance matters. In addition, he is recognized for his experience in secured transactions and public-private partnerships, and for large commercial restructurings and work-outs.
Mr. Allen’s industry sector experience includes mining, energy, forestry and telecommunications. His infrastructure experience includes both transportation projects and social infrastructure. Geographically his practice has spanned transactions across the United States, Australia, New Zealand, South America, Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa and Russia.
Mr. Allen has consistently been recognized as a “Leading Practitioner” and “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers Canada. He is repeatedly recognized in both the Chambers Canada and Global Guides, Lexpert Leading Lawyer’s Guide, Martindale-Hubbell and the IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Guide as “Leading Lawyer” and “Highly Regarded for Canada”.
Mr. Allen is a former director of Mellon Bank Canada, Mulgrave School (Vancouver), Renascent Foundation, (Toronto), Edgewood (Nanaimo) and the British Columbia Children’s Hospital Foundation.
- Transportation Infrastructure projects such as the Edmonton, Ottawa and Finch LRTs as well as numerous highway projects, RER rail projects and the Detroit River International Crossing
- Large syndicated financings in the telecom, chemical, information technology and construction industries.
- Acquisition financing for transactions in the information technology, telecom and other industries.
- Project financing in the energy, chemical and mining industries, the latter in five continents.
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Member of the Law Society of Ontario
- Called to the Bar of England & Wales
- Leafs Nation
- IFLR1000 “Leading Lawyer” and “Highly Regarded for Canada” (2021)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (2021)
- The Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” in Banking and Finance Law, Corporate Law, and Project Finance Law (2021)
- Chambers Canada Ranked Lawyer (2021)
- Chambers Global Ranked Lawyer (2021)
- Lexpert Leading Lawyers in Canada (2021)
- Lexpert Leading Finance and M&A Lawyers (2021)
- Lexpert Leading Infrastructure Lawyers (2020)
- Lexpert Leading Global Mining Sector Lawyers (2020)
- Recognized by Who’s Who Legal Canada in the categories of Banking & Project Finance (2020)
- Finance Monthly Global Awards “Banking Lawyer of the Year” – Canada (2018)