Scott Dawson is a partner in the litigation department and a trial lawyer experienced in the resolution of a broad range of commercial disputes.
He regularly appears before British Columbia Courts as part of his business-focused civil litigation practice. His cases cover a wide variety of commercial litigation issues including supply contracts, insurance / reinsurance, directors’ fiduciary duties, international and domestic agency disputes, shareholder disputes and corporate reorganizations. Mr. Dawson also has considerable experience resolving real estate disputes, negligence claims, non-union workplace disputes and a broad array of media matters, including crisis management.
His practice also involves assisting lawyers in respect Law Society discipline proceedings.
- Aon entities including Aon Reed Stenhouse in respect of insurance / reinsurance matters.
- HSBC Capital, Shoppers Drug Mart, Yellow Pages, Verizon, FortisBC, Teck, CHC Helicopter and TELUS, among others, in various proceedings involving commercial disputes, corporate arrangements, capital alterations and related matters.
- Shareholders and partners involved in disputes concerning ownership and management of businesses, including software companies, logging partnerships, real estate developments, law partnerships, golf course and real estate operations.
- Hub International, Great Canadian Casinos, the University of British Columbia, Klohn Crippen Berger, Cactus Club Cafe, Dynamex and others in employment litigation.
- National and regional property owners in real estate development and commercial tenancy disputes.
- Publishers and governmental entities in respect of certain criminal and regulatory offences.
- Extensive experience acting as counsel for traditional media outlets including The Vancouver Sun newspaper and The National Post newspaper, the C.B.C., the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network, the South China Morning Post and various Glacier Media newspapers published in communities across the province.
- Traditional and emerging media outlets in pre-publication advice, open court issues, defamation claims and crisis response.
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Served as a Director of the Canadian Media Lawyers Association (2009-2011)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (2022)
- Benchmark Litigation “Litigation Star” (2021)
- Lexpert Leading Lawyers in Canada (2021)
- Lexpert Leading Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers (Litigation – Defamation & Media, 2018)
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” (Defamation & Media Law, 2018)
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating (BV)
- A regular provider of pro bono legal services at community walk-in legal clinics