Tevia Jeffries advises debtors, creditors, court officers, receivers and banks on a variety of issues including corporate restructuring and insolvency matters, financing, distressed asset purchases, debt recovery, and security realization. Tevia began her legal career in New York, where she specialized in corporate restructuring, bankruptcy, insurance insolvency and rehabilitation, and corporate governance. Tevia is admitted to practice law in British Columbia and New York.
Tevia has been involved in restructurings and insolvencies in various industries, including mining, real estate, education, forestry, technology, energy and retail. Her practice frequently involves cross-border considerations. Tevia is a member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada and the International Insolvency Institute.
Tevia publishes and presents regularly restructuring and insolvency issues. She is on the Editorial Advisory Board of the Annual Review of Insolvency Law (“ARIL”), as well as a member of the executive and board of directors of the ARIL Society Inc.
- Counsel to the Court-appointed receiver in the receivership proceedings of a zinc mine in the Yukon Territory under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (BIA)
- Counsel to a private, not-for-profit, post-secondary institution in Squamish, British Columbia, in its restructuring under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA)
- Counsel to an international provider of foreign exchange risk management and cross-border payment services in its acquisition of a Canadian business providing similar services out of the Canadian target’s proceedings under the BIA
- Counsel to an investment fund holding senior secured notes issued by a technology company during the debtor’s CCAA restructuring and subsequent reverse takeover
- Counsel to Schedule I bank in successfully recovering debt secured against farm lands and business
The Best Lawyers in Canada (2024)
- Member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada
- Board Member of the ARIL Society Inc., and Editorial Advisory Board Member of the Annual Review of Insolvency Law
- Member of the International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
- Member of the American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the New York State Bar Association