Megan is as solicitor in Farris’ Corporate Commercial group. She practices in a wide range of areas including corporate commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, securities, corporate finance, and real estate. Megan has experience dealing with both private and public companies.
In particular, Megan is a legal advisor to the BC hospitality industry, quickly developing a reputation as the ‘go to’ lawyer for structuring and negotiating winery and distillery purchase and sale transactions and for strategic advice on transversing the regulatory hurdles that pervade the industry. She recently acted for second and third generation members of Jackson Family (Napa and Sonoma wine royalty) in their recent acquisitions of wineries and vineyards in the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island and for Empress Gin in its sale to a U.S. private equity group. She helped purchase Dillon’s Distillers for the Mark Anthony Group and has successfully closed about 25 winery sales in the Okanagan Valley over the last five years. She regularly helps her clients in the hospitality and alcoholic beverage sectors achieve their business objectives through the resolution of complex regulatory issues and agricultural land issues.
Megan is a member of the Board of Directors of the Canadian Association for Food Law and Policy (CAFLP), a national food law not-for-profit corporation. Megan also bolstered her knowledge in and passion for the wine industry by achieving her Level 1 and Level 2 Awards in Wine from the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET).
She also advises clients in the forestry industry; and works closely with First Nations to negotiate commercial business arrangements and on governance matters.
Megan obtained her Juris Doctor at the University of British Columbia and was called to the British Columbia Bar in 2018. Prior to attending law school, Megan obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Hotel Administration from Cornell University. Megan joined Farris as a summer articled student in 2016. She subsequently completed her articles with Farris and became an associate in 2018.
- Represented Victoria Distillers Inc., local Vancouver Island producers of Empress 1908 Gin, on their sale to Milestone Brands, LLC
- Various wine industry transactions and representations including the sales of Laughing Stock, Road 13, Wild Goose, Stoneboat and JoieFarm wineries; and the acquisition of Unsworth Vineyards and Blue Grouse Estate Winery
- Represented Wuikinuxv First Nation in its historic acquisition of forest tenures in the Great Bear Rainforest Timber Supply Area from Interfor Corporation
- Counsel to David and Cynthia Enns on their purchase of the iconic Naramata General Store
- Counsel to Heidi Noble, proprietor of JoieFarm Winery, in their recent strategic transaction
- Acquisition of Dillon’s Small Batch Distillers on behalf of client Mark Anthony Group Inc.
- Counsel to Pure Multi-Family REIT in completing $1.2 billion sale to Cortland Partners, LLC
- Counsel to Avigilon Corporation in its $1.2 billion sale to Motorola Solutions
- Counsel to WEQ Holdings Inc. (formerly WesternOne Inc.) in the sale of its equipment rentals and heat business to United Rentals of Canada, Inc. for $120 million
- Sale of Ethical Bean Coffee to Kraft Heinz Canada
- Counsel to private entities on various asset and share acquisitions
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Association for Food Law and Policy (CAFLP), Member of the Board of Directors
- Association Internationale des Juristes du Droit de la Vigne et du Vin (AIDV), Canadian Chapter Member