Michael practises labour and employment law. He represents employers in all aspects of labour and employment law disputes, including arbitrations, labour board hearings, human rights matters, workers compensation matters, employment standards matters, and wrongful dismissal actions. Michael has acted as counsel for employers in several industries and sectors, including post-secondary institutions; newspapers; supermarkets; transportation companies; printing companies; beverage companies; telecommunications companies; biotech companies; occupational health and safety employers; real estate agencies; and retail and service sector employers.
Michael knows more about hockey than anyone else in the firm, especially Jeff Kay.
- Overwaitea Food Group LP (July 19, 2017 Arbitration Award). Termination upheld for an employee for breach of trust in claiming a greater refund than that to which she was entitled.
- University of British Columbia (May 31, 2018 Human Rights Tribunal Decision, upheld on Reconsideration November 21, 2018). Human Rights Complaint dismissed in case where employee claimed he was terminated due to sexual orientation. Tribunal found no reasonable prospect the Complaint would succeed.
- University of British Columbia (October 15, 2018 BC Supreme Court Reasons for Judgment, Costs Award dated December 12, 2018). Wrongful dismissal lawsuit dismissed where the Court held the University had provided reasonable notice. Court awarded double costs to the University as a result of an offer to settle that the Plaintiff did not accept.
- Chew Excavating Ltd. (February 8, 2018 Labour Relations Board Decision). LRB upheld our position that an individual was not a successor employer.
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (2023)
- Chambers Canada Ranked Lawyer (2023)
- Lexpert Leading Lawyers in Canada (2022)
- Benchmark Canada Litigation Star (2022)
- Martindale-Hubbell Ranking (BV)