Mike is a litigation partner. For the past 18 years he has litigated, arbitrated and negotiated the resolution of high value and high stakes commercial matters. His cases have included contract, tort, shareholder, mining, technology, intellectual property, confidentiality, trade secrets, estates, and local government matters.
Mike is experienced in both the prosecution and the defence of class actions.
Mike’s media law sub-practice involves court challenges on behalf of major media organizations, where he advocates for the freedom of the press to report on high-profile cases.
Mike has published papers and appeared as a speaker in the areas of injunctions, class actions, cyber security & data breaches, internet defamation, and open courts.
Mike is a fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, an invitation-only fellowship of highly experienced trial lawyers and attorneys, with membership throughout North America. In addition, Mike has access, through Farris’s membership in Lex Mundi, to a global network of preeminent law firms, and the knowledge of thousands more lawyers in those firms around the world.
Mike is peer-recognized consistently by Best Lawyers in Canada for Corporate Commercial Litigation, Labour & Employment Law, and Privacy and Data Security Law.
Benchmark Canada repeatedly lists Mike as a Litigation Star. In 2021, Mike was the recipient of the “Emerging Talent Litigator of the Year” Award by Benchmark.
In 2012, Lexpert named Mike as one of Canada’s 40 Leading Lawyers under 40. Lexpert has also named him a cross-border litigation lawyer to watch.
- Defence side class actions – lead and primary counsel in two ongoing proposed class proceedings
- Plaintiff side class actions – co-counsel, from inception through to certification hearings, and ultimately achieved seven-figure settlements
- Litigation, arbitration and mediation – acting for numerous businesses and government entities in the resolution of complex contract and tort claims, valued in the seven-figure to nine-figure range
- Shareholder Disputes – litigation and arbitration of disputes among shareholders, directors and management involving substantial publicly and privately held corporations
- Complex eight-figure estate proceeding – lead counsel for two Estate Administrators, in an intestacy involving nine lawsuits and ongoing claims by multiple would-be beneficiaries
- Mareva Injunctions and Anton Piller Orders
- Cyber security, internet defamation, passing off issues, and Norwich Order applications involving domestic and foreign entities
- Advising companies on key employee (mass departure) and related fiduciary / non-competition and non-solicitation obligations
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, an invitation-only fellowship of highly experienced trial lawyers and attorneys, with membership throughout North America
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (2022)
- Recipient of the Benchmark “Emerging Talent Litigator of the Year” Award (2021)
- Benchmark Canada Litigation Star (2021)
- Dealing with the Media – Inns of Court Program (Group Leader; annual and ongoing)