Hector has over 30 years of practice experience providing legal advice to high growth public and private companies, many of which achieving valuations exceeding $billion over a broad range of industry sectors, including technology, life sciences, health and new media, mining, and clean energy advising on corporate domestic and cross-border public and private securities offerings, mergers and acquisitions and international partnering and licensing transactions, and boards of directors and independent board committees on corporate governance matters.
Hector is recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada and Lexpert, as being among the Top 100 Canada/US Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada. He has consistently been named among The Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, and is recognized among Canada’s leading lawyers in infrastructure, global mining, mergers & acquisitions, technology and biotechnology, and as a leading lawyer nationally by Chambers Canada in the Life Sciences category.
Hector received the Queen’s Counsel designation upon recommendation by the Attorney General of British Columbia for exceptional merit and contribution to the legal profession and has received the “AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5” legal ability rating from Martindale-Hubbell, an authoritative and global source for identifying leading lawyers and law firms.
- Canadian Counsel to Arbutus Biopharma Corporation with respect to the sale of part of its royalty interest on future global net sales of ONPATTRO™ (patisiran), an RNA interference (RNAi) therapeutic to OMERS, the defined benefit pension plan for municipal employees based in the Province of Ontario, Canada.
- Canadian Counsel to Arbutus Biopharma Corporation and the Arbutus Special Committee with respect to closing of a US$116 million Strategic Investment from Roivant Sciences
- Canadian Counsel to Arbutus Biopharma Corporation in a US$50 million At-the-Market equity program
- Counsel to the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Pacific Insight Electronics Inc. in its sale to Methode Electronics
- Canadian Counsel to Arbutus Biopharma Corporation and the Arbutus Special Committee in launching Genevant Sciences with industry-leading platform to develop a broad range of RNA Therapeutics for genetic diseases
- Canadian Counsel to Tekmira Pharmaceuticals Corporation in a merger of equals with OnCore Biopharma, Inc. creating an industry-leading therapeutics solutions company focused on developing a cure for chronic hepatitis B virus
- Amgen Inc., Biovail Laboratories International SRL and MedGenesis Therapeutix Inc. global license agreements and collaboration agreement between Biovail and MedGenesis and related equity investment by Amgen Inc. in MedGenesis, for development of GDNF for an undisclosed amount
- Acquisition of Can Test Ltd., British Columbia’s largest independent analytical laboratory business, for an undisclosed price, by Maxxam Analytics International Corporation, a company majority owned by OMERS Administration Corporation
- US $915 million acquisition of Aspreva Pharmaceuticals Corporation, by Galenica Group under which Galenica, through a wholly-owned Canadian subsidiary, will acquire all of Aspreva’s outstanding shares for cash
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Member of the Canadian, American and International Bar Associations
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (2021)
- Chambers Canada Ranked Lawyer (2021)
- Lexpert Leading Lawyers in Canada (2020)
- Lexpert Leading Infrastructure Lawyers (2020)
- Lexpert Leading Global Mining Sector Lawyers (2020)
- Lexpert Leading Cross-Border Lawyers (2017)
- Martindale-Hubbell (AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5)
- Queen’s Counsel (2003)
- Director BC Tech
- Past Director Tennis Canada
- Past Director LifeSciences British Columbia
- Past Director and Corporate Secretary BC Leading Edge Endowment Fund
- Past Chair BC Innovation Counsel
- Past Director Genome British Columbia
- Past Chair and Director United Way of the Lower Mainland
- Past President Red Cross Vancouver