Ron is the firm’s Securities Group leader. For over 25 years, his practise has focused on mergers & acquisitions (negotiated and unsolicited), equity and debt financings (public and private) and complex commercial transactions. Ron’s clients operate in a variety of industry sectors, including technology, life sciences and mining. They include public and private companies, limited partnerships, REITs, investment funds, portfolio managers and securities dealers.
Ron has extensive cross-border experience and regularly advises on structuring considerations, related party and special committee obligations, corporate governance and shareholder activism. He has a reputation for being an innovative and practical problem-solver, offering both strategic and legal advice to his clients. His strong relationships with securities regulators allow Ron to bring a range of potential solutions that are responsive to a shifting regulatory landscape.
Prior to joining Farris over 20 years ago, Ron was the corporate finance lawyer at the Vancouver office of the predecessor to the TSX Venture Exchange, assisting in the realignment of the various stock exchanges in Canada along the lines of market specialization while providing securities law advice to staff and executives.
- Counsel to NexGen Energy Ltd., a uranium exploration company listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange and the NYSE American, in connection with a $122.5 million cross-border “bought deal” pursuant to a Canadian prospectus and US registration statement.
- Counsel to Lift Auto Group, a Kelowna-based private consolidator of Canadian collision repair centres, in connection with a strategic investment made by PFM Capital Inc. and the Canadian Business Growth Fund to support Lift’s expansion and acquisition strategy.
- Counsel to American Hotel Income Properties REIT LP, a limited partnership listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange, in connection with a US$50 million strategic investment in preferred shares and warrants by BentallGreenOak Real Estate Advisors LP and Highgate Capital Investments LP on a private placement basis.
- Counsel to the independent committee of directors of Novoheart Holdings Inc., a biotechnology company listed on the TSX Venture Exchange, in connection with an all-cash going private transaction pursuant to a plan of arrangement with a private company controlled by Novoheart’s chief executive officer.
- Counsel to the independent committee of directors of Pure Multi-Family REIT LP, a limited partnership listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange, in connection with an all-cash going private transaction with an affiliate of Cortland Partners, LLC valued at approximately US$1.2 billion including net debt.
- Counsel to Redbrick Technologies Inc., a Victoria-based private technology company, in connection with its acquisition of Leadpages, a Minneapolis, Minnesota based technology company.
- Canadian counsel to Arbutus Biopharma Corporation, a Canadian-incorporated biopharmaceutical company, with respect to a US$116 million strategic investment in participating convertible preferred shares by Roivant Sciences Ltd. on a private placement basis.
- Counsel to Talemetry Inc., a Vancouver-based technology company, in connection with an acquisition by K1 Investment Management, along with three other companies in the recruitment industry, in a transaction valued at US$200 million.
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Past chair of the Securities Law Subsection of the Canadian Bar Association (B.C. Branch)
- Past member of the Securities Law Advisory Committee (SLAC), providing advice to the British Columbia Securities Commission on legal and policy issues relating to securities regulation
- An instructor for various securities law seminars, including those sponsored by Simon Fraser University (Faculty of Business Administration), Federated Press and the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (2024)
- Lexpert Leading Lawyers in Canada (2023)
- Lexpert Leading Technology and Health Sciences Lawyers (2023)
- Lexpert Leading Technology Lawyers (2021)
- Lexpert Leading Lawyers in Agribusiness and Cannabis (2020)
- Lexpert Leading Global Mining Sector Lawyers (2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell Ranking (CV)