Nick Hooge is a Partner in Farris’ litigation group. He has a general litigation practice and has appeared in all levels of courts in British Columbia, as well as in the Federal Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada. Nick has experience in a wide range of complex civil and commercial matters including contract disputes, product liability claims, real property litigation, corporate and securities law, administrative law, competitioner & antitrust, and taxation litigation. He also has experience before a number of administrative tribunals including the BC Utilities Commission and both the BC and Canadian Human Rights Tribunals.
Mr. Hooge has particular expertise in public utilities regulation and in class actions matters. In the latter area, he has regularly acted as defence counsel in class action proceedings involving securities law, competition law and consumer protection claims.
- Defence counsel to an overseas manufacturer in a complex national competition and antitrust class action.
- Counsel to FortisBC Inc. in a number of significant regulatory proceedings before the BC Utilities Commission, including a successful reconsideration application in respect of a number of significant changes to the utilities’ net metering program.
- Counsel to a real estate developer in complex multiparty litigation regarding a large, multi-unit residential condominium development in Langley, BC.
- Counsel to a Canadian taxpayer in the appeal of a multi-million dollar income tax reassessment.
- Member of the Law Society of British Columbia
- Lexpert Leading Lawyers in Canada (2021)
- Benchmark Litigation Future Star (2021)
- Benchmark Litigation Under 40 Hot List” 2017 (Canada)